The Race to Cradock takes place on 16 - 25 March 2019. It is a 575 km, non-stop, self-navigated mountain bike race starting in Rhodes and ending in Cradock, Eastern Cape. Riders are allowed a maximum of 6 days to complete the ride.
It is a non-stop event, so riders are not required to stop every day/night as in other stage races. Riders are required to be self-sufficient and carry all their own personal belongings with them.
Further support along the way is provided by:
- 5 support stations which also serve as compulsory check points. These support stations occur roughly every 100km along the route and provide food and accommodation to all riders during the race. Riders are required to sign in and out of each designated support station. It is however within an individual participant's discretion to decide whether they wish to utilise the accommodation provided at each support station.
- Riders may pre-packed 2 litre containers with spares, snack, maps etc which will be distributed to each support station, to be collected during the race. These typically contain the maps for the next section, bike spares, snacks etc which will be needed along the way.
- 5 emergency stops where food and emergency accommodation can be arranged for riders – this is done by the race office.
Please note: no individual seconding is permitted during the event – this means that no friends, family or other supporters may meet you along the route.
The route follows a section of the Freedom Trail known as the Stormberg which traverses a wide variety of off-road terrain including dirt roads, farm roads, old historical wagon routes and animal tracks from Rhodes to Cradock. Apart from the riding, there a few portage sections where riders will have to hike, push and even carry their bikes. Since the route is not marked, riders need to navigate by means of maps, compass and narrative directions – the use of GPS devices for navigation during the race is not allowed and will lead to disqualification.
ENTRY FEES AND DEADLINES
2019 RTC (Early Bird): R8500-00 (if paid in full by end September 2018)
2019 Race to Cradock: R9000-00
Entries close on 31 January 2019 or when sold out (Entry is only secured once payment has been made)
(if entry numbers are approaching capacity warnings will go on on newsletter and social media)
PAYMENT TERMS AND WITHDRAWALS
- "Early Bird" payment is required in full by 30 September 2018
- Unpaid "Early Bird" entries will be reinvoiced at full fee on 1 October 2018
- Deadline for all entry fee payments is 31 January 2019
- You may pay in installments if you wish, please contact Race Office to arrange
- Withdrawals before 30 November will receive 100% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals before 31 January will receive 90% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals before 28 February will receive 70% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals before the first batch start date will receive 40% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals after the first batch start date are non-refundable
- Late entries or transfers incur R1000 admin fee (deadline 28 February)
- No roll-over entries permitted
Map payments are non-refundable
THE ENTRY FEE COVERS THE FOLLOWING:
- Accommodation at the start in Rhodes and the finish in Cradock
- Pre-ride dinner in Rhodes
- All meals during the ride
- End of ride dinner in Cradock
- Accommodation for 7 nights including Rhodes and Cradock
- Official riders garment
- Finisher’s prize
Please note: Printed Maps are NOT included in your entry fee. All riders will be sent a link where you can download 2019 maps and narratives free of charge and print at your own expense. Alternatively you may elect to have printed maps and narratives couriered to your door for an additional R500. RTC route is covered by 23 x A3 Colour Topographical 1:50 000 maps.