RACE ACROSS SOUTH AFRICA
The Race Across South Africa is an unforgettable adventure by bike which takes riders to remote parts of South Africa where they will experience the true splendour of the country and the warm hospitality of its people.
Due to the nature of the terrain and time of year, the Race Across South Africa is a physically and mentally demanding undertaking – to complete this challenge, riders need to be adequately trained, equipped and prepared. Apart from the fitness, riders also need to be proficient at navigation and bike maintenance.
Since the route is not marked, riders need to navigate by means of maps, compass and narrative directions – the use of GPS devices during the race is not allowed and will lead to disqualification.
- Non-stop event, riders are not required to stop every day/night as in other stage races
- There are 19 Support stations where riders must check-in. Food and basic accommodation is provided at support stations. Bedding and towels provided
- Riders can pre-pack 19 x 2litre ice-cream tubs with supplies such as maps, trail food, personal medications, spares etc. These are distributed to the 19 Support stations
- In addition to the 19 support stations, there are also 17 interim stops where food and accommodation is provided
- Solo event and all riders are required to be self-sufficient and carry all their own personal belongings with them
- No individual seconding is permitted during the event – this means that no friends, family or other supporters may meet you along the route and offer assistance during the ride
- Dates: 15 June - 11 July 2020 (See draft start batches below)
The route follows the Freedom Trail from Pietermaritzburg to Wellington along a wide variety of off-road terrain – dirt roads, farm roads and tracks, footpaths and animal tracks.Many of the trails retrace old historic wagon routes which are no longer in regular use. Apart from the riding, there are numerous portage sections where riders will have to hike, push and even carry their bikes.
The route traverses six terrestrial biomes and the geography ranges from coastal to mountainous to semi-desert. Anticipated temperatures during June/July can range from 35 degrees Celcius down to minus 10 degrees Celcius
Visit TRAIL INFORMATION page for more route information.
- Rhodes – 8 days
- Hofmeyr – 12 days
- Willowmore – 18 days
- Wellington - 26 days
DRAFT START BATCHES
The below table shows draft batches of entrants to date. Please note that this may still be adjusted. Last updated 27 Feb
|Sandy Inglis||Gordon Roy||Ernst Behrens||Bruce Biccard||Richard Erasmus||Nigel Payne||Charles Mansfield||Pierre Griffioen|
|Philip Lee||Mike Roy||Sarah Van Eeden||Andrew Green||John Beckley||Adrian Payne||Derrick Bingham||Bruce Hughes|
|Cassandra Lee||Buz Busbridge||Mandy Joyce||Kemsley Wood||Ross Alexander||Gary Scoular||Rowan Matthews||Ingrid Avidon (RTR)|
|Rob Hanbury||Matthew Yager||Graham Denny||Mike Glover||Trevor Maarschalk||Jeanette Scoular||Luke Matthews||Alex Harris|
|Brett Andrew||Nicky Nairn||Matthew Denny||Michelle Mandy (RTR)||Ted Adam||Carlo Gonzaga||Gareth Dewey|
|Pierre Singery||Brad VD Westhuizen||Joe Hobbins||Phillip Fullaway (RTR)||Shaun Adam||Janine Oosthuizen||Peter Roux|
|Clint le Roux||Greg Perrett||Grant Hill||Rene Venter||Anton Wood|
|Tracey Lentin||Richard Cole||Marco Pulvirenti||Anja de Lange (RTR)||Greg Fisher|
|Steve Kitto (RTR)||Ben de Lange (RTR)|
|Andrew Setzkorn (RTR)||Laura de Lange (RTR)|
ENTRY FEES AND DEADLINES
2020 Race Across South Africa: R40250.00 incl VAT
Entries close on 31 March 2020 or when sold out (Entry is only secured once min 20% payment has been made)
(if entry numbers are approaching capacity warnings will go on on newsletter and social media)
PAYMENT TERMS AND WITHDRAWALS
- Entry is only secured once min 20% payment has been made
- Deadline for all entry fee payments is 31 March 2020
- You may pay in installments of your choosing, please use same invoice number on all instalments
- Withdrawals before 30 November will receive 100% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals before 31 March will receive 90% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals before 30 April will receive 80% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals before the first batch start date will receive 60% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals after the first batch start date are non-refundable
- Late entries or transfers incur R1000 admin fee (deadline 30 April)
- No roll-over entries permitted
- Map payments are non-refundable
THE ENTRY FEE COVERS THE FOLLOWING:
- Pre-RASA dinner and accommodation at the pre-race briefing in Pietermaritzburg
- Access to the downloadable set of 1:50 000 topographical map sheets and narrative descriptions of the race route (Freedom Trail)
- Transport of one small bag per rider (clothes etc) to be collected at the finish
- Shipping of 2 litre race support boxes from Race Office (Cape Town) to support stations along the route
- Official race garment
- Finisher’s blanket
- All meals and accommodation at support stations and interim stops whilst in competition.
Please note: Printed Maps are NOT included in your entry fee. All riders will be sent a link where you can download 2020 maps and narratives free of charge and print at your own expense. Alternatively you may elect to have printed maps and narratives couriered to your door for an additional R1000. RASA route is covered by 83 x A3 Colour Topographical 1:50 000 maps.