Please note: RTC 2020 has been postponed to November due to Corona Virus. Dates, entry deadlines and withdrawal policies updated below in light of postponement.
RACE TO PAARL
The Race to Paarl is a 610 km, non-stop, self-navigated mountain bike race starting in Willowmore and ending in Paarl. Riders are allowed a maximum of 6 days to complete the ride.
RTP is a physically and mentally demanding undertaking – to complete this challenge, riders need to be adequately trained, equipped and prepared. Apart from the fitness, riders also need to be proficient at navigation and bike maintenance.
Since the route is not marked, riders need to navigate by means of maps, compass and narrative directions – the use of GPS devices during the race is not allowed and will lead to disqualification.
- Non-stop event, riders are not required to stop every day/night as in other stage races
- There are 4 Support stations where riders must check-in. Food and basic accommodation is provided at support stations. Bedding and towels provided
- Riders can pre-pack 4 x 2litre ice-cream tubs with supplies such as maps, trail food, personal medications, spares etc. These are distributed to the 4 Support stations
- In addition to the 4 support stations, there are also 5 interim stops where food and accommodation is provided
- Solo event and all riders are required to be self-sufficient and carry all their own personal belongings with them
- No individual seconding is permitted during the event – this means that no friends, family or other supporters may meet you along the route and offer assistance during the ride
- Cut-off: Riders are allowed a maximum of 6 days to complete the ride
- Postponed Dates: 16-25 October 2020 (See draft start batches below)
The route passes through the Swartberg and Winelands sections of the Freedom Trail which traverses a wide variety of off-road terrain including dirt roads, farm roads, old historical wagon routes and animal tracks. Apart from the riding, there a few portage sections where riders will have to hike, push and even carry their bikes. It includes the iconic Gamkaskloof and Die Leer hiking route out of Die Hel as well as the infamous Stettynskloof on the final day.
Visit TRAIL INFORMATION page for more route information.
DRAFT START BATCHES
The below table shows draft batches of entrants to date. Please note that this may still be adjusted. Last updated 24 June
|Jacques Dekock||Doug Kennaugh||Erik Egeland||Willie Esterhuizen||Rebecca Sands|
|Rob Hill||Colleen Cawood||Peter Button||Tonie Roux||Sean Brown|
|Jonathan Williams||Chris Morris||Dave Moberly||Allen Liversage||Gerrit VD Merwe|
|Simon Harper||Ray Sephton||Mike Arnold||Anton Bekker|
|Craig Copeland||Allen Sharp||John Wardle||Christoffel Coetzee|
|Sean Paul||Mark Basel||Gregg Sneddon||Frans de Beer|
|Jeremy Nel||Gerrit Pretorius|
|Barry Duff||Trevor Elliott|
- 2020 Race to Cradock: R10,350 incl. VAT
- Entries close: 31 August 2020
ENTRY FEES COVER THE FOLLOWING:
- All meals and accommodation at support stations and interim stops whilst in competition (max 6 Days)
- Pre-race dinner and accommodation at the pre-race briefing in Willowmore
- Dinner and accommodation at Diemersfontein on the day/night you finish
- Small spares at Squirt Tech Zone Station (Montagu) including Tubes, CO2, Lube, Sealent, Tyres, anti-chaffe cream
- Access to the downloadable set of 1:50 000 topographical maps and narrative descriptions of the race route (Pre-printed Maps cost R575 incl. VAT and delivery)
- Transport of one small bag per rider (clothes etc) to be collected at the finish (bike bags also transported by request)
- Shipping of 2 litre race support boxes from Race Office (Cape Town) to support stations along the route (max 4 tubs per rider)
- Official race garments - First Ascent Cycle shirt, socks and buff (available at race registration the evening before your start)
- Oak Barrel stave wine holder Trophy (to all official finishers)
PAYMENT TERMS AND WITHDRAWALS (UPDATED DUE TO COVID-19)
- Entry and start day is only secured once min 20% payment has been made
- Deadline for all entry fee payments is 31 August 2020
- You may pay in installments of your choosing, please use same invoice number on all instalments
- Withdrawals before 31 August will receive 70% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals before the first batch start date will receive 40% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals after the first batch start date are non-refundable
- Map payments are non-refundable
- Roll overs to 2021 RTP will be permitted at no extra cost
- Deadline for confirmation of rollover option is 31 Aug 2020
- NOTE: 2021 entry fee is R9,500 + 15% VAT = R10,925 (RTP 2021 first start batch on 4 July 2021)
- All new entries (received after 7 April 2020) will have option of 100% refund if RTP 2020 does not proceed