Please be aware that as of 2020 Race To Rhodes has moved to March.
RTR is a 475 km, non-stop, self-navigated mountain bike race starting in Pietermaritzburg, KZN and ending in Rhodes, Eastern Cape. Riders are allowed a maximum of 7 days to complete the ride.
It is a non-stop event, so riders are not required to stop every day/night as in other stage races. Riders are required to be self-sufficient and carry all their own personal belongings with them.
Further support along the way is provided by:
- 6 support stations which also serve as compulsory check points. These support stations occur roughly every 100km along the route and provide food and accommodation to all riders during the race. Riders are required to sign in and out of each designated support station. It is however within an individual participant's discretion to decide whether they wish to utilise the accommodation provided at each support station.
- Riders may pre-packed 2 litre containers with spares, snack, maps etc which will be distributed to each support station, to be collected during the race. These typically contain the maps for the next section, bike spares, snacks etc which will be needed along the way.
- 4 emergency stops where food and emergency accommodation can be arranged for riders – this is done by the race office.
Please note: no individual seconding is permitted during the event – this means that no friends, family or other supporters may meet you along the route and offer assistance during the ride.
The route follows the first part of the Freedom Trail along a wide variety of off-road terrain, traversing dirt roads and tracks with extensive sections of single track and cattle track from PMB to Rhodes. Apart from the riding, there are numerous portage sections where riders will have to hike, push and even carry their bikes. It passes interesting countryside that is rich in history and culture. Since the route is not marked, riders need to navigate by means of maps, compass and narrative directions – the use of GPS devices for navigation during the race is not allowed and will lead to disqualification.
ENTRY FEES AND DEADLINES
2020 RTR entry fee: R9500-00 excl. VAT
All payments made after 15 September 2019 will incur 15% VAT
(if entry numbers are approaching capacity warnings will go on on newsletter and social media)
PAYMENT TERMS AND WITHDRAWALS
- VAT exempt payments must be made before 15 September 2019
- Outstanding payments will be re-invoiced with VAT added after 15 September 2019
- Deadline for all entry fee payments is 31 January 2020
- You may pay in installments if you wish, please contact Race Office to arrange
- Withdrawals before 30 October will receive 100% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals before 31 January will receive 90% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals before 20 February will receive 70% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals before the first batch start date will receive 40% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals after the first batch start date are non-refundable
- Late entries or transfers incur R1000 admin fee (deadline 20 February)
- No roll-over entries permitted
- Map payments are non-refundable
THE ENTRY FEE COVERS THE FOLLOWING:
- Accommodation at start and finish (1 night each)
- Pre-ride dinner in PMB
- All meals during the ride
- End of ride dinner in Rhodes
- Accommodation for 7 nights including Pietermaritzburg and Rhodes
- Official riders garment
- Finisher’s prize: a handmade herdsman’s whip
Please note: Printed Maps are NOT included in your entry fee. All riders will be sent a link where you can download 2019 maps and narratives free of charge and print at your own expense. Alternatively you may elect to have printed maps and narratives couriered to your door for an additional R500. RTR route is covered by 20 x A3 Colour Topographical 1:50 000 maps.