Please be aware that as of 2020 Race To Rhodes has moved to March.
RACE TO RHODES
The Race To Rhodes (RTR) is an unforgettable adventure by bike from Pietermaritzburg to Rhodes (EC).
RTR is a physically and mentally demanding undertaking – to complete this challenge, riders need to be adequately trained, equipped and prepared. Apart from the fitness, riders also need to be proficient at navigation and bike maintenance.
Since the route is not marked, riders need to navigate by means of maps, compass and narrative directions – the use of GPS devices during the race is not allowed and will lead to disqualification.
- Non-stop event, riders are not required to stop every day/night as in other stage races
- There are 5 Support stations where riders must check-in. Food and basic accommodation is provided at support stations. Bedding and towels provided
- Riders can pre-pack 5 x 2litre ice-cream tubs with supplies such as maps, trail food, personal medications, spares etc. These are distributed to the 5 Support stations
- In addition to the 5 support stations, there are also 4 interim stops where food and accommodation is provided
- Solo event and all riders are required to be self-sufficient and carry all their own personal belongings with them
- No individual seconding is permitted during the event – this means that no friends, family or other supporters may meet you along the route and offer assistance during the ride
- Cut-off: Riders are allowed a maximum of 7 days to complete the ride
- Dates: 15 - 22 March 2020 (See draft start batches below)
The route follows the Freedom Trail from Pietermaritzburg to Rhodes along a wide variety of off-road terrain – dirt roads, farm roads and tracks, footpaths and animal tracks.Many of the trails retrace old historic wagon routes which are no longer in regular use. Apart from the riding, there are numerous portage sections where riders will have to hike, push and even carry their bikes.
Visit TRAIL INFORMATION page for more route information.
DRAFT START BATCHES
The below table shows draft batches of entrants to date. Please note that this may still be adjusted. Last updated 27 Feb.
|Riaan Meintjes||Andrew Pearson||Charles Mansfield||Carlo Gonzaga|
|Ernesta Meintjes||Deon Vrey||Koen Frederix||Derrick Bingham|
|Mike Ward||David Holyoak||Andrew Blackburn||Tim James|
|Kim Ward||Johnny Anderton||Greg Fisher|
|David Graber||Andy Wesson (run)||Ted Adam|
|Emily Siegel||Nicky Booyens (run)||Kyle Dohne|
|Janine Oosthuizen||Dean Barclay (run)||Thubalethu Shange|
|Rene Venter||Peter Purchase (run)|
ENTRY FEES AND DEADLINES
2020 Race Across To Rhodes: R10,925.00 incl VAT
Entries close on 31 January 2020 or when sold out (Entry is only secured once min 20% payment has been made)
(if entry numbers are approaching capacity warnings will go on on newsletter and social media)
PAYMENT TERMS AND WITHDRAWALS
- Deadline for all entry fee payments is 31 January 2020
- You may pay in installments of your choosing, please use same invoice number on all instalments
- Withdrawals before 30 October will receive 100% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals before 31 January will receive 90% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals before 20 February will receive 70% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals before the first batch start date will receive 40% refund of total entry fee
- Withdrawals after the first batch start date are non-refundable
- Late entries or transfers incur R1000 admin fee (deadline 20 February)
- No roll-over entries permitted
- Map payments are non-refundable
THE ENTRY FEE COVERS THE FOLLOWING:
- Pre-race dinner and accommodation at the pre-race briefing in Pietermaritzburg
- Access to the downloadable set of 1:50 000 topographical map sheets and narrative descriptions of the race route (Freedom Trail)
- Transport of one small bag per rider (clothes etc) to be collected at the finish
- Shipping of 2 litre race support boxes to support stations along the route
- Official race garment
- Finisher’s whip
- All meals and accommodation at support stations and interim stops whilst in competition.
- Dinner and accommodation at the finish on the night of your finish
Please note: Printed Maps are NOT included in your entry fee. All riders will be sent a link where you can download 2020 maps and narratives free of charge and print at your own expense. Alternatively you may elect to have printed maps and narratives couriered to your door for an additional R500. RTR route is covered by 20 x A3 Colour Topographical 1:50 000 maps.